In The Rising of Pop Culture: A Historiographical Sketch Ashby writes "...expanding interest in the experience of common people, as opposed to powerful institutions or individuals." Everyone affects pop culture, not just celebrities or people that play a high role in society. The Ashby also says “were the first medium of entertainment and cultural information to be controlled by men who did not share the ethnic or religious backgrounds of the traditional cultural elites.” This just goes to show it doesn’t matter what your background is and anyone and everyone affects pop culture. Over the last few weeks my view has changed on pop culture. I didn’t think too much in depth about what it really was and who influenced it. Now I realize that anyone can influence pop culture but it isn’t just one or two things that are popular as a nation. Depending on your personal culture, religion, race, ect. there might be something that is popular culture in your community but not to everyone in the world.
Monday, February 9, 2015
Conception of Pop Culture
In The Rising of Pop Culture: A Historiographical Sketch Ashby writes "...expanding interest in the experience of common people, as opposed to powerful institutions or individuals." Everyone affects pop culture, not just celebrities or people that play a high role in society. The Ashby also says “were the first medium of entertainment and cultural information to be controlled by men who did not share the ethnic or religious backgrounds of the traditional cultural elites.” This just goes to show it doesn’t matter what your background is and anyone and everyone affects pop culture. Over the last few weeks my view has changed on pop culture. I didn’t think too much in depth about what it really was and who influenced it. Now I realize that anyone can influence pop culture but it isn’t just one or two things that are popular as a nation. Depending on your personal culture, religion, race, ect. there might be something that is popular culture in your community but not to everyone in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also gained more knowledge in popular culture these past few weeks because I never really put much thought about it until now. I have realized that not only can I affect popular culture, but popular culture affects everyone in their everyday lives. It varies from what I hear, see and even eat from day to day. It is interesting how important pop culture really is.
ReplyDeleteThe fact there is no longer one mass popular culture in the United State is why marketing firms employ market segmentation. They split their market into segments using metrics and then try to increase market penetration in one or more of the segments.
ReplyDeleteWhat’s popular tends to be based around societal values, local culture, local issues, and stance of the area; such as first world or third world. Your right culture and popular culture is different for everyone, weather their star trek fans or more into Lord of the Rings. But what’s not popular effects people to, such as actor Nathan Fillion might not be that great to most people but to those who are Firefly fans he’s amazing.
ReplyDeleteHey buddy, sorry to be "that guy" yet again, but I only need one more response to fill my quota.
DeleteNo, everyone in this class seems to be sticking with the definition set out years ago, which is culture of the average person, not higher educated. Not what it is now considering exclusive knowledge gaps are significantly shortened.
Popular culture, as the definition stands today, is what culture norms, ideals, idols, and entertainment are widely accepted by the masses.
Pop-culture can't be different for everyone (excluding different countries), because the definition was meant to be focused on what's generally accepted by most people. The more you localize/personalize what some groups of people like (Nathan Fillion from Firefly and Dr. Horrible) that reaches into just plain old culture definitions.
Sorry, nothing personal just wanted to get my quota in. I honestly wouldn't have said anything if saying something wasn't an assignment.
I really hate to be "that person" who calls people out on everything, but the last statement of depending on personal culture there are things that may be popular culture to your community but not to the world.
ReplyDeleteThe world part is true, not because of the observation, but because each country has its own pop-culture. And the "pop culture in their own community" isn't popular culture, it's just culture. A community's ethics, religions, likes, dislikes, moral codes. Sorry for being "that guy" just had to fill my response quota.
I never really considered how much influence one person could have until recently. I mostly just thought that people higher up in society made the rules and there was the occasional break through from the masses. It is interesting to consider the impact of background on popular culture. Something popular in other countries might not be valued much here.
ReplyDeleteT. Bowers